Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fretting over memory loss makes it worse

I learnt today that fretting over memory loss will make your memory respond to your calls slower than if you remain happy with your brain cell's performance. Isn't that strange? I usually do fret over my memory specially in recent years...for about 3-4 years now ..that I have been losing memory ...And I'm still sure I do. At times I can't recall people's names... a railway station's name which I used to frequent earlier for going to office ... a restaurant chain name where I used to call every night for dinner and used to get food delivered .. a popular brand name which I used to wear when I was in my first years of job ...my latest colleague's meeting reports which they told me yesterday ...some programming concept/construct that I had thought about yesterday evening before calling it a day to resolve an ongoing problem..but failed to recall it this morning ...and many such instances/stuffs ...uncountable ...!!!

The report suggests to think positive, especially if you want to retain a good memory as you age. That’s the advice of scientists at North Carolina State University who found that expecting to have a diminishing memory with age could be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In a study published in the journal Experimental Aging Research, they found that people who do not believe in the negative stereotype that memory loss is a natural occurrence as you age did better on tests than other people.

The negative effects were strongest in adults with the highest level of education, according to the researchers. But on the plus side, if people have a more positive view of ageing their memory performance scores are higher.
Obviously the take-home message is that you have to be happy about whatever performance you get out of your brain cells ...and get upset about it daily ... :D