Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Oscar fever


It's been more than a week now that the Oscar fever is gone. But truly speaking, it's picking up more in India now. Since an Indian cinema, Slumdog Millionaire, (though I am not sure if I should really call it an Indian cinema but I'll take this privilege considering that the star cast is Indian) got quite a few Oscars, a number of people now claim or comment on the Oscars that A.R. Rehman received or upon anything remotely related to Indian Oscar :). I found an e-mail in my mailbox day before yesterday which truly shows the Indian phenomenon. I am sharing these images here but I don't know if these images are copyrighted. If you know the copyrights, let me know so I can give due credits.

This one is for the director Danny Boyle. It shows Danny saying (I quote) "Throughout my life I had been looking for a good plot without knowing that the Oscar is hidden in the Slums of India".





And no one can disagree on the following cartoon. All the Indian politicians will sure keep trying to keep the slums alive in every Indian metro and elsewhere. I have purposefully not used the word Indian leaders because none of the politicians (and I want to emphasise, NO ONE) is a leader.

This one shows an Indian politician saying "We want to bag more Oscars next year. Therefore, we have decided to expand the slum area in India" :)

This cartoon takes away the Oscar from all the cartoons. :). It shows an Indian politician saying : "We also contributed a lot in getting home the Oscar because even after 60 years of independence, we did not allow the slums to be developed".

This one shows the state of the people still living under the line of poverty. According to available data from 2007 estimates, 25% people in India are still living below the poverty line. An Indian politician is shown saying the legendary "Jai ho!" to poor beggars who are saying "What Jai ho! ? Now we even got you an Oscar. At least get us a meal now!"

But this one is hilarious. One can find so many of these singing kids in the Mumbai local trains or in any passenger train in India, whose lives are ruined. Some of them truly grab the attention of the passengers by the way they sing. I remember watching and listening to one such singer when I was traveling from my hometown to New Delhi. The little kid was hitting his chest continuously to give an impression of some kind of music going along with the song.

This cartoon is showing two poor beggar kids saying "Our 'Slum music' also might get a place in the film industry!".

I know this does not sound good. but alas, when will we be able to save our own people from misery. God bless India and Indians.